How to describe a funny person in English (Part 1)
How do you describe someone who's funny in English? Of course you can say something like:
But there lots of different ways that a person can be funny. They may tell funny stories, act silly, say odd things, tell jokes that they've heard, etc. So how do you explain exactly how someone is funny?
Talking about a normal funny person
First, let's learn how to talk about "normal" people who are funny: friends, family members, coworkers, and so on. Here are a few different kinds of funny people:
- A goofy person does silly things, like funny dances and dressing in ridiculous costumes. They might make funny mistakes. You can also call this kind of person "a goofball".
- A witty person is funny for the opposite reason: they say things that are funny and also very smart. Witty people are also quick with their jokes.
- A prankster is someone who plays practical jokes on people. Practical jokes are tricks that confuse or scare someone for a short time.
- A self-deprecating person makes jokes that make themself look bad. They joke about their own flaws and problems.
You can also talk about what kind of sense of humor a person has.
- Someone with a dry sense of humor often says funny things with a serious, calm expression. They don't smile, laugh, or make silly faces.
- Someone with a quirky sense of humor thinks of things that are funny and strange. They like strange, unpredictable jokes.
- Having a warped sense of humor means that you laugh at things that many people are afraid of or offended by. You might think that jokes about death, illness, and tragedy are funny. It might seem like having "a warped sense of humor" is bad, but it's not a really negative expression.
Now learn how to talk about humor in a negative way with Part 2.