These are groups of useful phrases, organized around different topics.
Every culture has a collection of wise sayings that offer advice about how to live your life. These sayings are called "proverbs".
It's good to know the really common English proverbs because you hear them come up in conversation all the time. Sometimes people say the entire proverb to give advice to a friend. More often, someone will say just part of a proverb like this:
You know what they...
What does it take to be a world-class athlete? What qualities do you need to have? Here are some words and phrases to use when describing great athletes in English:
- It takes drive.
You have to be driven to improve every day. You can't be satisfied with your last performance.
- It takes discipline.
You have to be disciplined. You have to follow a strict exercise and eating...
Can you name all of the shirts in the image above? Scroll down to find the answers!
Things that you can do with (or without) a shirt
- put on a shirt
- wear a shirt
- take your shirt off
- change your shirt
- change into a shirt
- change out of a shirt
- roll up your sleeves
- pop your collar (some people do this to look cool)
- tuck in your shirt
- spill something on your shirt / spill something all down...
When a married couple decides that they don't want to be married anymore, they get divorced.
Sometimes the couple will separate first without getting legally divorced. This can also be called a "trial separation". If they can fix their problems, they might reconcile, which means that they get back together again.
A divorce starts when one of the people files for divorce....
Phrases to describe the activity of swimming
- Go swimming
- Go for a swim
- Go for a dip (in the pool, in the ocean, etc.)
- Take a dip (in the pool, in the ocean, etc.)
- Jump in the pool
Places to swim
- A "public pool" is available for anyone to swim in, sometimes for free and sometimes for a charge.
- An "indoor pool" is inside a building.
- A "kiddie pool" is a small pool that you can buy at a store...