A friend of yours recently had a baby. She's showing you pictures of her baby for the first time. You want your friend to think that her baby is cute, so you say:
"Adorable" means "really cute". Here are some examples of things that you can call "adorable":
- baby kittens or puppies
- a young man who does something really romantic for his girlfriend
- a young woman who wears really cute clothes and has a pretty smile
- a dress that looks light and comfortable
Here are some things that you probably wouldn't call "adorable":
- a tall, muscular guy with a square jaw
You'd call this guy "handsome" or maybe "hot" instead.
- a beautiful woman dressed in a tight dress
You might call her "hot", "sexy", or maybe "gorgeous".
- a scarf that your friend is trying on that you like a little bit
If you don't like something a lot, "adorable" might not work. "Cute", "nice", or "pretty" would work better.
(Print this lesson)