- adjust the temperature
- adjust your attitude
- adjust the settings
- adjust your mirror
- (your eyes) adjust to the light/dark
- adjust your package
- A foreign language is a language which is not someone's native language.
- A foreign country is a country that is not one's own.
- A country's foreign policy is how that country acts toward other countries.
- Foreign currency is another country's money.
- Foreign exchange rates are...
When have you made the fastest improvements in your language learning? I was thinking about this recently. I remembered that I've improved the fastest when I was:
- Studying the language every day by looking up new words, drilling with lists, and reading explanations of grammatical structures
What's the difference between a 'phrase', an 'idiom', a 'phrasal verb', a 'saying', an 'aphorism', etc.?
What is difference between a "phrase" and an "idiom", and what are "proverbs" and "phrasal verbs"?
I don't think it's very important to know the differences between these. The important thing is to learn as much as you can, whether it be idioms, phrasal verbs, or whatever.
- "Phrase" can really...
Today a friend told me a story. She was doing translation work at a booth in a restaurant trade show. She was translating for the CEO of a company that made high-quality kitchen knives.
This CEO had studied English, but hadn't gotten many chances to use English in real situations. So he was able...
Watching TV is a great way to learn a foreign language. TV shows are great because:
- They're not too short and not too long.
- You learn in context. That means that you can see what language to use in a specific situation.
- They're fun to watch, so you keep coming back to them.
I'd like to...
I want to know about your English learning environment. When and where do you most often learn English?
Do you study in the morning when you wake up? At night in bed? On your lunch break?
Do you like to listen to lessons on your phone while you're jogging? Do you take an English class at...
Thanks so much to everyone who voted in this competition. Because of your help, PhraseMix won by a landslide.
Voting helps a lot. When we win an award like this, new people find out about...
If you're a good reader in English, try to challenge yourself with this article from Wired magazine:
The article gives three main suggestions for improving your ability to learn:
- Interleave your studying. Rather than just focusing on...
Out of all the PhraseMix example sentences you've read, what's your favorite one? Why is it your favorite? Because it was new to you? Because it's funny? Because it perfectly fit a situation that you've encountered?
If you need to refresh your memory, here's the index of all the past PhraseMix...