“I'd like to cash this. Do I need to fill out a deposit slip or anything?”

English Lesson: I'd like to cash this. Do I need to fill out a deposit slip or anything?

You have a paycheck from your part-time job. You'd like to get cash instead of putting the money into your bank account. This is what you ask the teller at the bank.

I'd like to cash this. Do I need to fill out a deposit slip or anything?

Want Video and Sound? Follow us on YouTube

fill out (a form)

A "form" is a document with blank lines or boxes that you write information into. Forms were originally printed on paper, but now forms are common on the Internet. You can see them whenever you sign up for a new website and have to enter your name, email address, and other information.

To "fill out" a form means to write answers into the blank lines or boxes.

Here are some words that you can use after "fill out":

fill out an application

fill out paperwork

fill out a registration form

fill out a survey

I'd like to (do something)

"I'd like to..." is an abbreviation of "I would like to..." Use this phrase to ask for services at stores, banks, and so on:

Hi. I'd like to deposit this into checking, please.

I'd like to send this via registered mail.

I'd like to cancel my membership.

You can also use it in an email to someone when you're in a position of authority, like when you're acting as a customer.

It's also possible to write "I'd like to ___" in emails to your boss, if you're doing something that's normal and expected. For example, if you have a specific number of vacation days that you can use, and you're allowed to use them whenever you want, you can write:

I'd like to take off the week of April 3rd.

cash (a check)

"Cashing" a check means giving it to a bank, and getting the cash value of the check from them. You can "cash" a paycheck, a personal check, a tax-return check, etc.

a deposit slip

A "slip" is like a form, but it's usually smaller than a full sheet of paper. Some examples of "slips" are:

  • permissions slips (for school field trips, etc.)
  • deposit slips
  • wire transfer slips
  • a pink slip (which is a piece of paper telling someone that they've been fired or laid off)

"Deposit slips" are pieces of paper that you have to fill out when you're depositing money into a bank account. You write your name, the amount of money you're depositing, your account number, and so on.