When Americans talk about "college", they probably mean a 4-year college or university.

In most other English-speaking countries, people differentiate between “university” - a four-year university with research and graduate programs (you may hear “uni” used as an abbreviation) - and "college" - a “junior" or “community" college.

Here's a full explanation of the difference between "college" and "university".

This phrase appears in these lessons: